We began studying recycling in science this past week and will continue with it into next week and so I thought what better example to give than to recycle the old, broken crayons that I inherited! So, to the dollar store I went and found some pumpkin ice cube trays and took on the adventure early this morning ....
Just in case you were wondering ... there are a million and ten suggested ways to do this on the internet and I think that I tried one million of those ways today until I found something that worked for me.
BEWARE....the fumes can be intoxicating!!! So, make sure that you are in a well ventilated area -- open windows, use exhaust fan, etc!!! I started in the microwave but felt as if the microwave was becoming toxic, smelling of crayons, and it really wasn't melting quickly enough for my liking :) So, I switched to the paper liners in a cupcake pan and melted in a 250 degree oven. This worked perfectly -- takes less time and tends to melt more evenly. You may want to open your oven to vent after it has cooled completely (unless it's the winter and you can use a little more warmth in your house:)), just for precautionary reasons.
HERE THEY ARE!!!!!! (some more perfect than others ...)
These are two of the prettiest ones...but I think they are completely cute:) Now, I am off to find a cute label so that the students know they are NOT to be eaten!!!!